Fantastic February

Local entertainment shines this month
Story by: Ami Bbrown
The Odell Williamson Auditorium has a great lineup for 2018, and so does local Theatre. Take a look at what is happening in February.

The Vagina Monologues
Join Us As We Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of “The Vagina Monologues” and the Founding of V-Day, the Global Activist Movement to End Violence Against Women and Girls,  Brunswick Little Theatre is proud to announce our first ever production of The Vagina Monologues to be performed February 2-4, 2018. Based on Eve Ensler’s award winning play of the same name, “The Vagina Monologues” has grown into a worldwide phenomenon in an attempt to end violence against women and girls. For our inaugural year, we will be partnering with Coastal Horizon’s Rape Crises Center to bring TVM Southport to life. As our beneficiary, the RCC will receive 90% of all funds raised. The remaining 10% will go back to the national V-Day organization to continue their work of funding crisis centers and shelters, educating communities, and changing laws in order to protect women and girls.
Performances for this limited run will be February 2nd and 3rd at 7:30 pm and February 4th at 3 pm on our main stage at 8068 River Road SE, Southport. All tickets will be $20 and can be purchased online at www.brunswicklittletheatre.com or at Ricky Evans Gallery in downtown Southport. Due to the mature themes and graphic nature of some of the monologues, this is not recommended for those under 18.

SPONGETONES
The Historic Amuzu Theatre is pleased to present the Spongetones in a British Invasion Concert scheduled for Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 7:30 p.m. This group is based in Charlotte, NC with one local member, Jamie Hoover, currently living in St. James. The Spongetones have been performing together since 1980 and will be specializing for this show in British groups from the sixties including The Beatles, Dave Clark Five, The Rolling Stones, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Herman’s Hermits and many more. Featured in the concert will be memorable tunes such as “Let It Be”, “A Hard Day’s Night”, “All My Loving”, “I Want To Hold Your Hand” “Nowhere Man”, “Ticket To Ride”, ”Ferry Acoss the Mersey”, “Satisfaction”, “Get Off Of My Cloud”, “Time of the Season”, ”I’m Henry VIII, I Am”, “You Really Got Me”, “Bus Stop”, “Heart Full Of Soul”,and “Needles and Pins”. Tickets are $20, cash or check made out only to Amuzu Theatre and can be purchased at Ricky Evans Art Gallery in Southport (910-457-1129) and Color Me Carolina in Oak Island (910-933-4531). For more information, call 910-523-2552.

DSB-Journey Tribute
DSB has been highly revered by fans as the “next best thing” to Journey. They have captured the lush and signature sound of renowned vocalist Steve Perry and Journey in their prime. Complete with a band of world-class Los Angeles musicians, DSB remains true to Journey’s musical legacy and delivers the nostalgic concert experience that will keep you Believin’.
DSB-Journey Tribute
Friday, February 09, 2018
7:00 PM

Lucy Kaplansky
She started out singing in Chicago bars. Then, barely out of high school, Lucy Kaplansky took off for New York City. There she found a fertile community of songwriters and performers—Suzanne Vega, Steve Forbert, The Roches, and others. With a beautiful flair for harmony, Lucy was everyone’s favorite singing partner, but most often she found herself singing as a duo with Shawn Colvin. People envisioned big things for them; in fact, The New York Times said it was “easy to predict stardom for her.”
Friday, February 2
Lucy Kaplansky
www.LucyKaplansky.com
Doors 7pm / Show 7:30pm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Southport Area's Culture & Events Magazine